* The Cubs and Pirates have split their 26 meetings at PNC Park since the start of the 2014 season. Chicago’s 12-3 (.800) record against the Pittsburgh is on pace for their best single-season record against the Pirates since 1900. Their current best single-season record against the Pirates is 14-4 (.778), set in 2008.
* The Cubs won the rubber game of their three-game series against the Cardinals last night, 3-1. Chicago has allowed one or zero runs in 44 games this season, most in MLB, and the fewest in franchise history since they had 50 such games in 1963.
* Pittsburgh lost two out of three to the Nationals after losing the series finale yesterday, 7-4. The Pirates have lost 15 of their last 19 home games, their most over a 19-game span at home since the 2008 season, when they also lost 15 of 19 games at PNC Park.
* Anthony Rizzo’s .967 slugging percentage against Pittsburgh this year is the third-highest single-season slugging percentage against the Pirates (minimum 60 at-bats), trailing only Willie Mays’ 1955 season and Hank Sauer’s 1954 season, where each had a 1.000 slugging percentage against Pittsburgh.
* Chad Kuhl has faced the Cubs twice this year, once at home and once on the road. In his one start against Chicago at PNC Park on July 9, Kuhl pitched 2.1 innings, allowing 4 earned runs. On the season, Kuhl has a 5.91 home ERA.
* Kyle Hendricks leads baseball with a 2.06 ERA (41/179.0). The last Cub to have the lowest ERA in MLB was Hank Borowy, who posted a 2.14 ERA in 1945.