* The Cubs visit the nation’s capital for the first time this season, where they are 19-19 in Washington against the Nationals. The Cubs swept a four-game series against the Nationals at Wrigley Field on May 5-8 this season, their first four-game sweep of the Nationals since July 16-19, 2009 in Washington.
* Despite committing four errors yesterday, the Cubs beat the Atlanta Braves, 13-2, to clinch their sixth straight series win. It was Chicago’s first win with at least four errors since August 14, 2011, when they also won in Atlanta.
* After trailing 4-3 entering the bottom of the ninth inning yesterday, the Nationals came back to beat the Phillies, 5-4, to complete a three-game sweep. Washington has 18 comeback wins this season, most in the National League.
* Yesterday’s hero was Jayson Werth, who hit a two-run single with the bases loaded to give Washington the win. It was Werth’s seventh career walkoff plate appearance, and his first since July 20, 2014 when he doubled in Anthony Rendon to beat the Milwaukee Brewers.
* Max Scherzer faced the Cubs earlier this season on May 6, picking up a loss while giving up seven earned runs in 5.0 innings at Wrigley Field. Scherzer allowed four home runs in that game for only the second time in his career, the first being on April 3, 2011 against the New York Yankees when he was with the Detroit Tigers.
* In three career starts against the Nationals, Kyle Hendricks is 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA, his second-lowest ERA against any team he has faced at least three times (Padres, 1.26).