* St. Louis is 7-6 against the Cubs this year, and could win the season series between the teams for a sixth straight season. Only two other teams have a winning record versus the Cubs in 2016: the Mets (5-2) and Rockies (4-2).
* Chicago has a 16.0-game lead over second-place St. Louis in the NL Central, matching their largest lead of the season. Prior to 2016, the Cubs hadn’t had a lead that large (in division since 1969, or league pre-1969) since finishing the 1907 season with a 17.0-game lead over second-place Pittsburgh in the National League.
* While the Cardinals have the majors’ best road record this season at 43-28 (.606), they are just 32-39 (.451) at home. St. Louis hasn’t finished a season with a losing record in home games since going 38-42 in 1999.
* Among MLB players with at least 350 plate appearances this season, Jedd Gyorko has the second-best home run rate, with one every 13.23 at-bats. Baltimore’s Mark Trumbo is a fraction ahead with one homer every 13.22 at-bats.
* Addison Russell is the first Cubs shortstop (based on primary position in season) to reach both 20 home runs and 90 RBI in a season since Ernie Banks in 1960.
* Kyle Hendricks is 5-0 with a 1.30 ERA over his last seven starts, lowering his season ERA to an MLB-best 2.07. The last Cubs pitcher to have the lowest ERA in the majors in a season was Bill Lee in 1938 (2.66).