* The Cubs and Cardinals have each won a game against the other thus far in 2018, and over the past two seasons the Cubs are 5-1 in series against the Cardinals in Busch Stadium. The Cardinals (3.32) and the Cubs (3.48) rank fourth and seventh in MLB, respectively, in team ERA.
* The Cubs have won five of their last eight games despite scoring only 16 combined runs in those eight games. The last time they won five in an eight-game span while scoring 16 or fewer runs was in July 1992.
* The Cardinals have won seven of their last eight home games, averaging 5.13 runs per game in those contests. They allowed their opponent to score more than three runs just once in that stretch, a 6-5 loss to the Mets on April 24.
* Jose Quintana has made two career starts at Busch Stadium; he is 2-0 with a 1.59 ERA in 11.1 innings in those games. His 1.43 WHIP in 2018 ties for third-highest among NL pitchers who have three or more wins.
* Miles Mikolas ranks first in MLB in strike percentage, garnering strikes on 70.5 percent of his pitches, and also ranks first in MLB with a 13.5 strikeout to walk ratio. In his last three starts he has thrown 21.0 innings, allowed five runs and held opponents to a .197 batting average.
* Anthony Rizzo is hitting .375 in the month of May, and already has more home runs (2) than he hit in the entire first month of the season (1).