* The Cubs tied the Pirates, 1-1, in Pittsburgh on Thursday after the game was called due to rain in the sixth inning. It was the Cubs’ first tie since May 28, 1993, a 2-2 game against the Montreal Expos.
* The Reds fell to the Cardinals, 4-3, in St. Louis on Thursday in the rubber match of the series. The Reds are assured of a last-place finish for the second straight year, which they also did in 2007 and 2008.
* Chicago has dominated the Reds this year, going 13-3, the highest winning percentage by a team against any single opponent this year (minimum eight games). Over the last two seasons, the Cubs also has a 13-3 record in Cincinnati.
* Jake Buchanan will be making his first start for the Cubs this season. He pitched 1.0 inning out of the bullpen in Milwaukee on September 5, allowing a solo home run to Ryan Braun. Buchanan has never faced the Reds in his career.
* Josh Smith has primarily worked out of the bullpen this season, although he made one start against the Cubs on September 20, allowing one run (earned) in 3.0 innings. Smith also made a start against the Cubs last season, allowing four runs (all earned) in 5.0 innings.
* Kris Bryant recently picked up his 100th RBI, making him and Anthony Rizzo the first pair of Cubs teammates to post 100-RBI seasons since Aramis Ramirez and Moises Alou both did it in 2004.