* In his first three seasons as a manager, the Cardinals’ Mike Matheny won 295 games, regular and postseason combined, third all-time behind the Yankees’ Ralph Houk (317 1961-63) and the Mets’ Davey Johnson (1984-86).
* The Cubs were shut out in their season opener for the second straight season. They are only the fifth team in National League history to be shut out in back-to-back season openers.
*The Cubs have never been shut out in each of the first two games of the season. The Cardinals have shut out their opponent in each of the first two games of the season once, in the 1963 season when they opened the year with an MLB record three straight shutouts.
* In five career starts against the Cardinals (all with the Cubs), Jake Arrieta sports a dazzling 0.92 ERA.
* Matt Holliday has recorded at least 20 home runs and 30 doubles in nine straight seasons. He is one season shy of the MLB record of 10 straight seasons, currently held by three players, two of whom were Cardinals (Albert Pujols and Stan Musial, with Manny Ramirez being the other).
* Matt Adams is a .350 hitter in March and April, one of the highest March/April batting averages by any Cardinals player in the last 100+ years.