Chicago Bears sign troubled defensive end Ray McDonald

Sports
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — The Chicago Bears have signed controversial free-agent defensive end Ray McDonald to a contract, the team announced Tuesday.

The Bears and McDonald agreed to terms on a one-year deal, pending a physical.

McDonald’s former team, the San Francisco 49ers, released him in December after law enforcement officials said he was under investigation on suspicion of sexual assault, ESPN reported.

McDonald has not been charged in the case, according to ESPN.

Social media reactions to the signing were strong, with many opposing McDonald’s signing due to the player’s checkered past.

https://twitter.com/FeathersInDaHat/status/580445536634957825

The 49ers previously said they had “terminated” McDonald for what they deemed a “pattern of poor decision-making,” ESPN reported. He was reportedly also involved in a domestic abuse case last August, but did not face any charges then, either. The team at that time stood by McDonald.

The Bears had previously traded wide receiver Brandon Marshall, a move in part due to the team’s desire to distance itself from players with character concerns, the Chicago Tribune’s Dan Weiderer notes.

However columnist David Haugh of the Tribune said McDonald was like the 49ers’ version of Marshall —  “only worse.”

McDonald had started for the 49ers the past four seasons. He has collected 19.5 sacks and four forced fumbles over his eight-year NFL career.

McDonald said in an interview with ESPN last week,

“I feel like what I am doing is the right thing because I know that I am not this bad person that people are making me out to be. I’ve been fired from my job. I know some teams don’t even want to talk to me because of this past accusation. All I am trying to do is clear my name and move on with my life.”

Popular

Latest News

More News