* The Blackhawks shut out the Avalanche, 4-0, on Wednesday, improving to 7-3-1 this season and taking sole possession of first place in the Central Division. Corey Crawford made 38 saves, the second-most he’s ever made in a shutout – he had 39 saves against the Ducks in a 1-0 win over the Ducks last season.
* The Stars beat the Blues, 6-2, in Dallas on Wednesday, improving to 4-4-2 this year. This was the first time this season they’ve reached the six-goal mark, something they did five times all of last season – one of which came against the Blackhawks.
* Dallas has had Chicago’s number recently, winning six of the last seven games between the teams. Six of those meetings have been decided by at least three goals, with four of them by four goals. As a result, the Stars have outscored the Blackhawks, 30-14 in those seven games.
* Marian Hossa had two goals against Colorado on Wednesday, his 84th career multi-goal game. Among active skaters, only Jaromir Jagr (127), Alex Ovechkin (109), and Jarome Iginla (108) have more.
* Jamie Benn, who has two goals and six assists this season, had seven points in five games against the Blackhawks last year, tied for the most by any player in the league.
* Chicago has now won four straight games. They only had two streaks of at least four wins last season – a four-game streak in October, and a 12-game streak in December/January.