* In their previous meeting this season, the Hurricanes upset the Blackhawks in Chicago, 2-1, on December 27, when Carolina came within three seconds of posting a shutout. The victory ended a four-game losing streak for the Hurricanes versus Chicago.
* The Blackhawks stopped their two-game slide by blanking St. Louis in Chicago on Sunday, 2-0. With a record of 11-2-0 this January, a Chicago victory on Tuesday would match the franchise’s most wins ever in a single month (12-2-1 in November 2013).
* The Hurricanes erupted for five goals in a 5-2 home victory over Calgary on Sunday, scoring their most goals in any game since December 12. The outburst followed a three-game span during which Carolina had mustered just two goals combined.
* Artemi Panarin, who scored the game-winner on Sunday, now leads all rookies in goals (17), assists (29) and points (46). Only Detroit’s Dylan Larkin (5) has tallied more game-winning goals among rookies than Panarin (4).
* Former Blackhawk Kris Versteeg recorded his first multi-goal game as a member of the Hurricanes with a pair of scores on Sunday. Versteeg has now registered 22 of his 30 total points this season at PNC Arena.
* Jordan Staal has generated 10 points in January, reaching double digits in a single month for the first time since March 2014 (12). Staal’s +9 rating in January matches a career best previously achieved in April 2009 and January 2007.