Police searching for gunman who fatally shot woman inside Belmont Cragin Walgreens

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — Police are searching for the man who fatally shot a woman suspected of shoplifting inside a Walgreens on the city’s Northwest Side.

The shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Walgreens in the 4800 block of West Fullerton in the city’s Belmont Cragin neighborhood.

According to Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, the store manager confronted the woman after spotting her shoplifting. She was allegedly trying to take leggings and a T-shirt. The Chicago Tribune reported that the night manager  was having issues with the woman, so he called a friend who used to work security to help him.

A man, who falsely identified himself as a Chicago police officer, intervened and a verbal argument ensued between the man and the woman. The argument turned physical, and the man shot the woman in the head.

Police said store surveillance video shows the gunman saying something to the woman, throwing her to the floor, pulling a gun from his waistband, and shooting her. The shooter then waits before leaving the store and drives off in a dark-colored Ford Explorer.

The woman, who was in her 30s, was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Her name has not been released.

An autopsy showed that the woman died from a gunshot wound to the face. It was ruled a homicide.

Chicago police said there is clear surveillance video of the deadly incident, and that neither the alleged security officer nor the vehicle are part of CPD. There is also no record of anyone with the police department working at the Walgreens.

Police said the suspected gunman was known to the staff at Walgreens. As of Thursday evening, the man was not in custody. The Tribune said he once worked for Monterrey Security and has a record of arrests on drug, assault and impersonating a federal employee charges.

According to police, a person of interest was being questioned.

The shooting is under investigation.

The Walgreens remained closed as of Thursday.


Latest News

More News