Cy Sadaka the owner of King Crab in Chicago visited WGN show how to make Oysters Rockefeller.
King Crab Chicago
1816 N. Halsted St.
Chicago, IL 60614
-30 unopened, live, medium size oysters (blue point or Chesapeake, it’s your preference)
-40 ounces or 5 cups of Fresh Spinach
-18 ounces or 2 ½ cups of Mozzarella cheese
-5 heads of garlic
-1 white onion
-10 ounces or 1 1/3 cup of mushrooms
-1/2 Parmesan Cheese
-1 bottle of Olive Oil for sautéing
-Pepper and salt
– 5 ounces of butter or 10 tablespoons of butter
-1/2 cup of milk or heavy whipping cream
-1 ounces or ½ cup of Panko or Japanese breadcrumbs
– Clean oysters and place them in a large pot, Next pour enough water to cover the oysters; bring the water and oysters to a boil.
– Then remove them and drain the oysters and let them cool. Once they are cool you will next break the top shell off each oyster.
– Then you can mix your filling: (spinach mix) **these will be diced and chopped prior to segment*
– Sauté diced spinach, chopped mushrooms, chopped garlic, 5 ounces of butter, and 1 chopped onion, and add ½ cup of milk or you can use ½ cup of heavy whipping cream in a frying pan with olive oil.
– Arrange the oysters in their half shells on a cooking sheet and spoon some of the spinach inside each of the oysters.
– On top with a wooden spoon you will put your breadcrumbs to cover the top of the spinach filling
– Bake until thoroughly cooked in the oven on 450 (should take 10-12 minutes), and then put the oven on broil until golden brown.
-On top you can sprinkle a bit of parmesan and pepper or salt
– To steam them/boil them is for 1.5 minutes to cool another 1.5 minutes and then you can start putting your filing in