WATCHING WINTER LIVE — A deep plunge of arctic air will send Chicago’s wind chill into -30 degree territory as the area experiences a so-called bomb cyclone. However a warm-up is in the extended forecast.
WGN’s Chip Brewster and News Nation meteorologist Gerard Jebaily reviewed the most up-to-date data on the current winter storm in this week’s Watching Winter Live. They also discussed the science behind our nation’s weather, including bomb cyclones and the polar vortex, and took a look at the long-range outlook.
View the entire show in the video above.
The show topics included:
- The storm system currently making its way across the eastern half of the U.S.
- Plummeting temperatures throughout most of the country
- What exactly is bombogenesis, also called a bomb cyclone
- Defining, discussing the polar vortex
- A warm-up is on the way
- The latest seasonal outlook
Have a weather question or comment? The second-half of the livestream is always devoted to answering what our viewers have to say! Send us your queries for next week’s show using this form and we’ll do our best to incorporate them into the discussion.