It’s the last weekend before Christmas, and there’s lots going on. Here are a few highlights.
1) Finish up your shopping at the Made in Chicago Holiday Market this Saturday at Block 37 (101 N. State Street). You’ll find more than 80 local vendors selling everything from food and drink to fashion and home decor.
2) Go caroling at Cloud Gate. Warm up those pipes and head to Millennium Park Friday night. Chicago choral groups will lead a holiday sing-along in front of The Bean from 6-7 p.m. It’s free!
3) Make the most of Christmastime in Chicago by taking the Holiday Lights Trolley Tour. The two-hour narrated tour involves stops along the Mag Mile and State Street, as well as Christkindlmarket, Lincoln Park Zoo Lights and Navy Pier’s Winter Wonderfest. That’s a whole lot of holiday magic right there.
4) Hear some covers for a cause! Two local cover bands, London Calling (Clash tribute) and All Mods Conned (The Jam tribute), will perform at Schubas in Lakeview for an event called Chicago Calling XI. Proceeds benefit 826CHI, a non-profit writing and tutoring center in Chicago. It’s happening Friday night, with live music starting at 8 p.m. This cozy venue tends to sell out, so grab tickets now – they’re just $10. Entrants must be 18 years of age.
5) Celebrate holiday cinema at the Vic Theatre! The Vic (3145 N. Sheffield) is mainly a live music venue, but at their casual Brew and View events, patrons can catch a film while drinking cheap beers from the bars inside. This week they’re showing the holiday classic “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” and “Jingle Bell Rocks,” a brand new documentary about underground Christmas music.
6) Check out a craft beer event. Fountainhead (1970 W. Montrose) is hosting Eight Beery Nights of Chanukah, featuring eight variations of Dr. Dreidel’s Imperial Chanukah Porter. Or head to Logan Arcade (2410 W. Fullerton) Thursday night, where Middle Brow is releasing its new butternut squash winter warmer. Lots of other Chicago bars are participating in the 12 Beers of Christmas, where you’ll get deals on seasonal brews.
Follow @UrbanAgendaWGN on Twitter for more fun stuff going on around the city. Send us your ideas and photos – they might be featured in a future post. Now get out and enjoy Chicago!