Summer is in full swing! There are a number of festivals and other events happening in Chicago this weekend, so don’t miss out.
1) Chicago Blues Festival (June 12-14 in Grant Park). Buddy Guy is headlining the free music fest that’s a huge hit every year. Other big name performers include Shemekia Copeland, Toronzo Cannon, Syl Johnson, Clarence Carter, Zora Young, Big Bill Morganfield, Bud Morganfield, Bobby Dixon, Alex Dixon and Billy Branch.
2) Spring Awakening Music Festival (June 12-14 at Soldier Field). This 18+ fest features some of the world’s top DJs. Single-day tickets start at $90 and three-day festival passes will cost you at least $325.
3) Midsommarfest (June 12-14 along Clark St. between Foster & Catalpa). This is Andersonville’s 50th annual summer street festival. Each year tens of thousands of people flock to the neighborhood for a weekend of music, dancing, kids’ entertainment, and delicious food. Expect some nods to Andersonville’s Swedish roots. Suggested donation of $10 to enter (kids under 12 and seniors are free).
4) Ribfest Chicago (June 12-14 along Lincoln Ave. between Irving Park & Berteau). This is basically heaven for all you barbecue lovers out there. Ribs on ribs, not to mention beer and bands. Chicago Reader has ranked it the number one food fest in the city three years running. Suggested $5 donation at the gate.
5) Wells Street Art Festival (June 13-14 along Wells St. between North & Division). This popular event features more than 250 vendors selling art and other retail as well as food and beverages along six blocks of Wells Street in historic Old Town. There are also great bands scheduled to play. Suggestion donation of $10.
6) Green City Market at Soho House (June 14 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 113-125 N. Green Street). Green City Market is opening its third farmers market site for the very first time this weekend. The new location is in the lot behind Soho House between Halsted & Green in the West Loop. It will be open on the second Sunday of every month through October 11. Green City Market has two other locations in Lincoln Park and the Fulton Market District.
Follow @UrbanAgendaWGN on Twitter for more fun stuff going on around the city. Send us your ideas and photos – they might be featured in a future post. Now get out and enjoy Chicago!