Need a diversion? Here are a few ways to have fun in the city this week.
1) Indoor HD Golf Simulator. Warm up your swing this winter at Sydney Marovitz Golf Course in Lakeview. Their brand new golf simulator lets you choose from 60 world-renown golf courses and play them in their entirety, without leaving Chicago! It typically costs $80 per hour, but this week only it’s just $50.
2) Boat, RV & Strictly Sail Show. Happening Wednesday through Sunday at McCormick Place, this annual show features hundreds of recreational vessels and vehicles, a heaven on earth for outdoor enthusiasts. Take a lesson on the sailing simulator, learn to scuba dive or demo a paddle board. There are also activities and entertainment for children. Tickets are $14 for adults – free for kids 15 and under.
3) Apres Ski Night at ROOF on theWit. Every Thursday night in January, head to one of the city’s best rooftop bars on the 27th floor of theWit Hotel for alpine-themed hot bites, cocktails and music.
4) EXPLORE the World of Airline Highway. This Saturday night at Steppenwolf’s Garage Theatre, check out this between-shows event featuring poetry from Danny Kerwick, the real-life inspiration behind a character in Airline Highway, now playing at Steppenwolf. There will also be New Orleans-inspired music and cuisine, in keeping with the theme of the show. All EXLORE events are free, but space is limited so be sure to reserve a spot. And certainly consider getting yourself a ticket to Airline Highway – on Saturday there are performances at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
5) Cubs Convention. Attention Cubs fans! This weekend (Jan. 16-18) is the 30th Annual Cubs Convention. Special guests include players, coaches, alumni and broadcasters. There will be autograph and photo sessions, Q & A seminars, interactive exhibits and live entertainment. And for the die hards, Cubs Bingo, Cubs Jeopardy and Cubs Family Feud.
6) DanceWorks Chicago. This Saturday at 2 p.m. at Harris Theater in Millennium Park, local dance company DanceWorks Chicago kicks off the Excelon Family Series, featuring high quality matinee shows. Plus meet the dancers at a special post-performance autograph session in the Harris lobby.
7) The Magic Victrola. This family-friendly performance at the Lyric Opera features 60 minutes of fun and music. It’s happening Saturday at 3 p.m.
Follow @UrbanAgendaWGN on Twitter for more fun stuff going on around the city. Send us your ideas and photos – they might be featured in a future post. Now get out and enjoy Chicago!