This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MEXICO CITY, Mexico — Doctors in Mexico are blaming the death of a 17-year-old boy on a hickey.

They say the hickey resulted in a blood clot that caused Julio Macias Gonzalez to have a stroke.

Gonzalez was with his girlfriend before he started having convulsions at the dinner table with his family.

This is at least the second report of a hickey causing a stroke.

The first one happened to a 44-year-old woman in New Zealand, but she survived.

Researchers say the medical condition is a rare phenomenon.