Teen dies after eating pancakes at Minnesota cafe

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BEMIDJI, Minn — A Minnesota family is suing after their teenage son died after eating pancakes at a local restaurant.

WCCO reports 16-year-old Scott Johnson had a severe milk allergy since birth.

The family went to their local café, Minnesota Nice Café in Bemidji, for breakfast last June. The lawsuit states Scott’s mother Cindy asked the server if the restaurant’s gluten-free pancakes were also dairy free. The server checked with the cook and said the pancakes were dairy free. Cindy also told the server the grill would have to be cleaned before her son’s pancakes were made.

After eating two of the pancakes, WCCO reports Scott told his mother, “We have to go now.”

Scott had forgotten his EpiPen and nebulizer – tools he had previously used to open his lungs and aid him in an allergic reaction.

“When the Johnsons got home, it became clear they weren’t working. Cindy called 911,” WCCO reports.

Scott eventually had to be airlifted to Fargo where doctors said Scott had suffered such a severe anaphylactic reaction, his heart had failed.

Johnson died three days later.

Because of the lawsuit, Minnesota Nice Cafe told WCCO they couldn’t comment.

Popular

Latest News

More News