Teen charged in shooting that wounded 6-year-old

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO -- A teenager has been charged in the shooting that wounded a 6-year-old girl earlier this week in Chicago.

6-year-old Jaylene Bermeo was drawing with chalk on the sidewalk when she was shot during a gang-related drive by shooting Monday night.

Appearing In juvenile court today, the 17-year-old was charged in the drive-by shooting.  He is not named because of his age. The Chicago Tribune reports the judge ordered the teen held in custody as a danger to the community.

Prosecutors say detectives found him in a database of gang members and he was identified by witnesses as the driver of the silver Hyundai that fled the scene right after that shooting in 2100 block of North Bingham.

The teen’s attorney did not share any information about the teen who's charged as a juvenile with aggravated battery with a firearm and aggravated discharge of a firearm, but he says the teen's family is shocked.

"It's an unfortunate incident but that doesn't mean he's responsible for it,” attorney Kevin McCubbin said.   “We're going to do our own investigation. We're going to see what if any other witnesses saw anything and go from there."

Jaylene’s family released a photo today showing  Jaylene giving the thumbs up from Stroger Hospital where doctors say she is in good condition and good spirits.   She could be discharged in a few days.

Popular

Latest News

More News