CARVER COUNTY, Minn. — Investigators in Carver County, Minnesota, found no obvious signs of trauma on the body of music superstar Prince, Sheriff Jim Olson said Friday. There also is no reason to believe that the death was a suicide, Olson said.
Prince’s body has been released to his family following completion of the autopsy, a spokeswoman for the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office said.
It could take weeks for the results of the autopsy to be released to the public, the spokeswoman said. “It could be days, depending on the type of test, and most likely weeks to have the complete set of results available to us,” Martha Weaver said. She did not say which member of Prince’s family received his body after the autopsy.
On Thursday, Prince was found unresponsive in an elevator inside his Minnesota home and later pronounced dead. He was 57 years old.
A promoter says Prince was slated to perform a surprise set of shows earlier this week in St. Louis but cancelled last week because of health concerns.
Promoter Steve Litman said Friday that he’d been working for weeks to set up two surprise pop-up shows on April 18 at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis. Litman is executive producer for concerts at the theatre.
Litman says tickets were set to go on sale April 15, but that Prince’s representatives told him late on April 14 that Prince needed to back out because of concern he might have to cancel the shows due to illness.
Prince had performed two concerts in Atlanta earlier on April 14 to make up for concerts that he cancelled, citing the flu, a week earlier. Litman says he’d been talking to Prince’s representatives most of that day.
Prince hosted a dance party two days later at his Paisley Park compound in Minnesota.
The is a developing story. Check back for details.