This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
CHICAGO — Musician R. Kelly went back to to Cook County Jail after he was unable to pay more than $161,000 in child support owed to his ex-wife during a hearing Wednesday. Judge Lori Rosen set the court date after she found Kelly was behind on payments for the care of his three children. Publicist Darrell Johnson said Kelly had hoped to provide a portion of the amount at the hearing, but was taken into custody and back to jail after he was unable to pay. He said Kelly was prepared to pay between $50,000 to $60,000. Johnson said Kelly did not have the entire amount because he has not been able to work. “He came here expecting to leave,” Johnson said. “He just doesn’t have the money.” Kelly arrived at the Richard J. Daley Center around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday. He was out on bail after he pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of sexual abuse charges involving a woman and three underage girls dating back to 1998.
Johnson said they hoped to get him out of jail by Wednesday of next week, but no bond has been set at this time. “There’s been a lot of things going on in Mr. Kelly’s life,” Johnson said when asked about why he couldn’t afford to pay. A spokeswoman for the Cook County Sheriff’s Office said Kelly would not be released from jail until he pays the full child support debt. His next hearing was scheduled for March 13. Attorneys working on the case did not speak after the hearing, saying the proceedings were sealed.
The hearing took place just hours after an explosive interview with Kelly aired on CBS This Morning. It was his first television interview about the sex abuse case against him, where he told reporter Gayle King that his accusers are liars. “All of them are lying,” Kelly said “I have been assassinated.” In another part of the interview, Kelly stands and yells, “I didn’t do this stuff! This is not me!” Kelly denies holding any women against their will. At one point he looks at the camera and screams that “it’s stupid” to think he would hold women against their will given his past. “Stop it. Y’all quit playing. Quit playing. I didn’t do this stuff. This is not me. I’m fighting for my f—ing life,” he says in the interview. Kelly insisted people were trying to ruin his 30-year career, but then said his fight was “not about music.” “I’m trying to have a relationship with my kids and I can’t do it” because of the sex-abuse allegations, he shouted. “You all just don’t want to believe it.” However, a family in Georgia said they haven’t been in contact with their daughter for two years. Tim and Jonjelyn Savage want Kelly to make their 23-year-old daughter, Joycelyn Savage, available to talk to them. “Joycelyn, we went from seeing you, talking to you weekly, to not seeing you for two years,” Jonjelyn Savage, Joycelyn’s mother, said.. “So that is a clear indication to us, and as a mother, that something is definitely wrong with this situation.” “We are a solid family, we care about our daughter. From day one the only thing we wanted to do was actually to see our daughter, hear from our daughter, and make sure she’s fine,” Tim Savage said. The Savage family said Kelly brainwashed their daughter and another woman who is living with them. Kelly told CBS it was Savage’s father that brought his daughter to him. “I didn’t go looking for a Joycelyn Savage. I was doing my show … he brought her and asked a friend of mine to put her on the stage with R. Kelly, make sure she’s on the stage,” he said. “At no point did this family sell their daughter to anyone or provide their daughter for anything for money,” Gerald Griggs, an attorney, said during a news conference. “At no point has Mr. Kelly ever met Mr. Timothy Savage.” Later Wednesday, Joycelyn Savage said during a phone call with her parents that she has told them a “million, million times” that she’s “OK” where she is and that they “need to stop.” The call took place after her parents held the news conference in Georgia. The call was on speaker-phone at the office of the couple’s lawyer, Gerald Griggs, and was captured on cellphone video and posted on Twitter.