Chicago cop shot after ‘gun battle’ with bank robber; 15-year-old also wounded

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
CHICAGO — A Chicago police officer and a 15-year-old boy were shot after a “gun battle” following a police pursuit of a bank robber that started in Des Plaines. A heavy police presence was at the intersection of Irving Park Road and Lowell Avenue around 7 p.m. Tuesday as police investigated following the shooting. Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said the incident started as a bank robbery at a Des Plaines Bank of America involving two suspects. Johnson said following the robbery, Des Plaines police were able to apprehend one of the bank robbers who fled on foot. The second suspect, 32, stole a car and drove toward the city. FBI agents, Chicago police, Des Plaines officers and Illinois State Police were able to track his movements. Chicago police was waiting for the suspect after he got off the expressway at Irving Park Road around 6:53 p.m., Johnson said. Upon seeing police, the 32-year-old shot at squad cars and a Chicago officer was shot in the head. Des Plaines police continued to follow the suspect and ended up at a music store near the 4200 block of Irving Park Road. The suspect and a Des Plaines police officer then exchanged gunfire and the suspect was fatally shot. A 15-year-old was struck by gunfire in the arm and abdomen during the incident. The teen was in the music store for a piano lesson. He was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital where he was stabilized. The 46-year-old officer was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center by his partner. Police spokesperson Anthony Guglielmi said imagining revealed the bullet penetrated and exited the officer’s skull. At a press conference, Dr. Marius Katilius said the officer had a skull fracture and had blood in the brain. He said he was in serious but stable condition. Both Guglielmi and Katilius said the officer was responsive and talking at the hospital. Johnson said there were no shots fired by Chicago officers. The officer shot was a 17-year veteran of the Chicago police force. Johnson said he had won several awards for his service. Mayor Lori Lightfoot spoke at a press conference after Johnson provided an update and asked Chicagoans to pray for the officer and the teenage boy. Fraternal Order of Police President Kevin Graham said he spoke with the officer and his family.  He said the officer should be commended for his work. “Once again we see another heroic officer who is not afraid to go into danger,” he said. “He knew there was shots fired. He knew he was going in to try and protect the people of Chicago and save lives, and once again, they did an outstanding job.” Graham said the 46-year-old is an outstanding officer because of the work he does every day in Chicago.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Latest News

More News