One child dead, one hospitalized after sharing turkey sandwich

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Five-year-old Brad Sutton remains in a Tacoma, Ore., hospital as he undergoes dialysis for hemolytic uremic syndrome — a failure of his kidneys — which usually stems from an infection caused by a strain of E. coli.

“His levels were stable when they started the dialysis this morning. they’re just going to continue to watch him on dialysis,” said the boy’s mother Elizabeth Sutton.

Brad got sick days after he and Serena Profitt ate with their families at a restaurant in Otis, near Lincoln City.

Their families believe the cause was a turkey sandwich that the two split for dinner, because days later both kids got sick with the same thing.

Serena got so bad she was eventually taken to the hospital where she tested positive for E. coli.

“She’s the most vibrant young girl ever; she’s just sweet loving and so amazing, so smart, just a heart that is of gold,” said Serena’s aunt Aleahsa Hargitt.

Serena’s family says her condition advanced to her brain and caused her other organs to shut down.

On Monday night, they took her off life support.

“It’s horrible and heartbreaking that it went so fast for her it’s — the whole thing is just tragic and horrible,” Elizabeth Sutton said.

The Oregon Health Department is also aware of the recent E. coli report, which they say can be very dangerous for children and the elderly.

“E. coli 0157 and others are one of the worst food borne illnesses that you can get,” said Dr. Paul Cieslak, Oregon Health Department.

Health officials says people should always avoid eating under cooked ground beef, unpasteurized milk and juices and you should always wash your hands after using the restroom.

Meanwhile, in Tacoma, little brad remains in the hospital. His family hoping for good news.

Source: KPTV/CNN



Latest News

More News