4 charged after police say officers attacked on street, inside Englewood home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO -- Chicago police said four people have been charged after three officers were injured in an alleged attack in Englewood Monday afternoon.

Police said a three-officer tactical unit was on patrol at 70th Street and Throop Street around 2:40 p.m. Monday when, according to police, 20-year-old Janice Lewis called them murderers and shouted profanity at them. According to police accounts, when officers stopped, Lewis spit on one of them, and the officers got out of their car to take her into custody.

Then police said someone, later identified by authorities as 19-year-old Senneca Traylor, threw a 2x4 that struck one of the officers in the back of the head. Police said Traylor fled into a nearby residence, and they followed him inside to take him into custody. Once inside, officers said there was a struggle with Traylor and a man identified by police as 28-year-old Robert Williams.

Part of the scene after officers went into the house was recorded and posted to social media.

Caution: Viewer discretion advised, video contains scenes and language some may find offensive

Police said as many as seven people were in the house at the time, and one person can be heard on the video telling someone to lock the interior door of the two-flat. At one point, one of the officers draws his gun and orders people inside to back off.

Several minutes passed before backup arrived, and after finding the front door locked, officers responding to the scene broke through the front windows of the home to get access. Some people inside the home and the person recording then left out the back door of the home.

Four people police said were involved in the incident face charges Tuesday. Traylor was charged with four counts of aggravated battery of an officer and two counts of resisting an officer. Lewis was charged with one count of aggravated battery of an officer. Williams was charged with two counts of unlawful restraint and one count of resisting an officer. A fourth person, Tashawn Booker, was charged with two felony counts of unlawful restraint.

At a bond court hearing Tuesday afternoon, Traylor and Williams were ordered held without bail, while Lewis and Booker were given $10,000 bond with electronic monitoring.

The officer hit in the head was taken to the hospital but has since been released, and two other officers were taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Police union president president Kevin Graham said confrontations between police and community members are happening more and more.


Latest News

More News