9 kids taken to hospital after eating marijuana gummy bears at Ohio school

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND — Emergency crews responded to a school on Cleveland’s east side Monday afternoon after at least 14 students were given marijuana gummy bears, the Cleveland Division of Police said.

Paramedics took nine children from Anton Grdina School to Rainbow Babies And Children’s Hospital after they complained of illness, according to police. The kids ranged in age from 5 to 9 and are listed in “stable condition.”

The parents of five other students declined to send their children to the hospital.

A Cleveland Metropolitan School District spokeswoman said three students were handing out the candy at lunch when some of the aides noticed an odd wrapper. The children said they got the gummy bears from home.

The district said in a statement:

“Although we have not yet received a report on the suspicious candy, the principal used the opportunity to remind parents and caregivers of the importance of keeping medicines and other items that may be harmful to children locked up to ensure the safety of all students.”

Anton Grdina teaches students from pre-K to eighth grade.

Popular

Latest News

More News