1 fatally shot, 5 injured in University Village

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO -- Six people were shot, one fatally, on the city's Near West Side.

The shooting happened just before 5 a.m. on the 1300 block of South Loomis Street in the city's University Village neighborhood. Police said people were attending a party when shots were fired.

A woman, between 20 to 25 years old, was found dead at the scene.

A 17-year-old was shot in the head and was hospitalized in very critical condition. He is now on life support and surrounded by family.

A 21-year-old man was shot in the leg and transported to Stroger Hospital in stable condition, along with a 23-year-old man who was shot in the arm. He is also in stable condition.

Another 23-year-old man was shot multiple times in the abdomen and transported to Mount Sinai Hospital by his girlfriend. He is in stable condition.

A 21-year-old man was discovered at Rush Hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg. He was treated and released.

A weapon was recovered at the scene.

Area Central Detectives say there are several cameras in the area and are combing through the footage, to identify suspects and possibly discover a motive. Police said the victims in the incident are not cooperating.

Chicago police are now in the process of trying to figure out exactly what led to the shooting but they are calling it a gang dispute.  Investigators say based on the number of shell casings they found, it looks like there was an exchange of gun fire.

While Chicago police investigate who is responsible for a shooting in the University Village neighborhood, the Chicago Fire Department is investigating why it may have taken at least 30 minutes to transport a man with catastrophic head injuries.

The fire department said there may have been an improper response on their part. The call initially came in as one person was shot so only one ambulance was sent. When they got to the scene, there were actually six people shot, including one dead.

Paramedics were trying to save the ones they could. But it may have taken half an hour for the 17-year-old to be transported. Witnesses said it was a chaotic scene.

The 17-year-old was barely clinging to life. He barely had a pulse and was covered with a sheet. Paramedics moved onto the people they thought they could save, but then his legs and arms began twitching.

"They saw motion, movement underneath the sheet. Officers notified the paramedics. This man is still alive and treatment began on him," Anthony Riccio, first deputy CPD supt., said.

The shooting in University Village was part of 36 shootings this weekend where 6 people were killed. Police said that’s fewer than last year but still not acceptable. Police also arrested 43 people on gun-related charges and took 44 illegal guns off the street.

Data pix.


Latest News

More News