Boats, sonar used but still no updates in search for missing Crystal Lake boy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CRYSTAL LAKE, Ill. — The search for a missing 5-year-old boy from Crystal Lake entered its sixth day Tuesday.

Crystal Lake police launched a search, using sonar equipment, at the pond next to Veteran Acres Park, located at 431 Walkup Rd.

They searched the pond for about six hours then the boats pulled out of the water with no updates.

Crystal Lake police said they are continuing to conduct what they’re calling grid searches of the area. They are also asking residents near the missing boy’s home to check their home security footage from last Monday through Thursday mornings.

Also Tuesday, JoAnn Cunningham, 36, appeared in court Tuesday for a shelter care hearing regarding her other son.  The hearing will continue Monday.

Andrew was reported missing Thursday. After an exhaustive search, police said there was “no indication” Andrew had been abducted. DCFS said the agency has had extensive contact with the family since Andrew was born in 2013 with opiates in his system.

According to police, Cunningham is no longer cooperating with their investigation. But her attorney says people shouldn’t jump to any conclusions.

Cunningham is seven months pregnant with another child and her lawyer describes her as fragile.

In a statement, he said:

“When it became clear law enforcement was not conducting a missing child investigation, was not issuing an Amber Alert, had stopped searching for AJ, and considered her a suspect, we did advise her to stop all communications with law enforcement and she did so at our request…this is just us, as her attorneys, doing our job, not evidence of her wrongdoing, and is not itself suspicious in any way.”

Records show this home was foreclosed on and sold at auction in February, and neighbors say the family was supposed to move out two weeks ago.

On Monday, the police search for Andrew focused on Lippold Park, which is less than two-miles from the family home on Dole Avenue.

Police have also asked neighbors to check their home surveillance systems for any footage from last week that might provide clues to what happened.

The community is holding onto hope that Andrew is out there and somehow OK.



Latest News

More News