Vigil held for 14 year old killed in shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO -- Fourteen-year-old J'Quantae Riles' mother did not want her children growing up in Chicago. There are too many shootings here, and too many people she loved have been killed.

She tried to move away, but her son was killed a little more than a week after she felt forced to return.

"You don't want to be in my shoes," Franika Marshall said Sunday afternoon as she prepared to bury her son while awaiting the arrival of identical twin girls. "Please stop killing each other."

Through her shock and grief, she described the Henderson Elementary School eighth grader as a sports fanatic and kind spirit.

"He just wanted to be loved by everybody," she said.

At 9:30 p.m. Saturday, J'Quantae was walking in the 2200 block of West 59th Street near his family's West Englewood home.

According to Chicago Police, the boy was accompanied by three others.

"He was with somebody he knew he should not have been with," his mother said.

Shots came from somewhere, and three boys scattered. Bullets pierced J'Quantae's back.

"He was laying in the sidewalk," said his grandmother, Carolyn Marshall, who was notified of the shooting after one of J'Quantae's friends ran screaming to her front door.

J'Quantae had died by the time his family and an ambulance arrived.

The shooting happened ten days after Franika, J'Quantae and his 7-year-old sister moved back to Chicago from Virginia.

"It wasn't working out, so I came back," Franika said. "I didn't want to come back."

She feared for her children here, but she couldn't make her way out of state. "It's like I felt it or something," she said. "I was trying to get away from this and left."

Before she left, Franika made a rap video under the name "Freak Mode" titled "Put the Guns Down." As seen on YouTube, the lyrics plead that the violence surrounding Chicago's children would stop.

Now, her mother works to console her, as Franika prepares to bring two new lives into a city which she fears.

"I'm trying to make her be comfortable, trying to tell her to calm down," Carolyn said. "I've got to be strong for her, and she's got to be strong for the babies."

No one is in custody. Area Central Police continue to seek a suspect.


Latest News

More News