This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — A man was charged in a shooting that injured a toddler on Lake Shore Drive after a road rage incident.

Kayden Swann, a 21-month-old, was shot in the head Tuesday on Lake Shore Drive. Police said 43-year-old Jushawn Brown, who was driving, was arrested for having an unregistered gun following the shooting.

Brown, the boyfriend of Kayden’s grandmother, was charged with possession and unlawful use of a weapon. Police have not arrested the other shooter involved.

Authorities said the other vehicle in the road rage incident fired the first shots, but great-grandfather Clifton Marvel said Brown fired first.

“He initiated this whole thing, If he would have just took a minute, this would have never happened,” he said.

However, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, in a bond proffer, believe the man in the SUV fired the shots.

Police recovered 10 shell casings from the scene and ballistics concluded that all the casings were fired from the same gun and that it was not from Brown’s firearm.

Brown was released on bond Thursday night, which was set at$5,000, on the charge for an unlawful use of a weapon. Police said that he faces that charge because he allegedly didn’t have valid registration for his gun.

On Thursday, the hospital issued a statement saying doctors were successful in lifting some of the sedation medication required to protect Kayden’s brain. They stated that some brain activity is returning to him.

“We are pleased to see Kayden make some recovery as he is demonstrating some return in brain activity,” Dr. Marcelo Malakooti, associate chief medical officer and medical director at Lurie Children’s Hospital, said.

He said it’s still too early to make “any meaningful prediction about his total recovery.” However, he said they are very optimistic about the signs they are seeing. He remains in critical condition at the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

Speaking with WGN News Tuesday evening, Kayden’s family members said the boy’s condition was improving.

“The bullet went in and came out,” Marvel said. “He’s been in surgery. “It looks to be like he’s going to be OK.”

On Wednesday, the doctor treating Kayden said he was in a medical coma to protect his brain and remains on a ventilator.

Chicago Police Department Commander Jake Alderden said the shooting was an apparent road rage incident.

Police said the incident started around 11 a.m. near Soldier Field on Lake Shore Drive, when one vehicle would not let another vehicle merge.

Kayden was in a vehicle with his grandmother and her boyfriend. Police said shots were fired and the vehicle Kayden was in rear-ended a Lexus SUV.

Another witness said the grandmother’s boyfriend returned fire.

The driver of the Lexus, who did not wish to be identified, spoke with WGN after the frantic scene and said she heard someone saying that her baby had been shot.

Kayden was shot in the right temple, according to police.

Police said a good Samaritan driving a Tesla rushed Kayden and his family to the hospital.

Kayden’s great-grandfather says he wants to meet with Mayor Lori Lightfoot and Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown to address violence in the city.

Read more: Latest Chicago news headlines