Man, 18, charged in double homicide at River Oaks Mall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CALUMET CITY, Ill. — An 18-year-old man has been charged in a double fatal shooting at River Oaks Mall.

Dajon M. Lewis, of Grinnell, Iowa, is facing two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of 17-year-old Tyrell Wade and 18-year-old Christin Ross.

Lewis is accused of shooting and killing the two teenagers in the parking lot of the shopping mall on October 10.

On Oct. 15, an arrest warrant was issued for Lewis.  On Oct. 25, he was taken into custody following a traffic stop in Gary, Indiana. Lewis was jailed in Lake County, Indiana, until Monday when he waived his extradition to Illinois and was transported to the Calumet City Police Department for formal processing and charging.

Tuesday in court, Lewis was ordered to be held without bond.

A Cook County judge called him a danger to society and a threat to the public.

Prosecutors said Lewis shot  Wade and Ross after an argument and a scuffle in the mall.

Wade and Ross had apparently confronted Lewis saying they believed he had robbed Ross’s sister.

“The defendant admitted to robbing the victim’s (Ross) sister, and a physical altercation ensued outside the mall entrance,” Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Annalee McGlone said. “The defendant walked away and said, ‘Just wait. Just wait right here.’”

When the group left the mall from a different exit, Lewis was allegedly waiting with a handgun.

“This defendant began firing his loaded 9mm firearm at the unarmed victims and witnesses,” McGlone said.

Prosecutors said he fired at least a dozen shots. Wade was hit once in the head, Ross was shot twice in the head,

Both died two days later at the hospital.

Christin Ross father Christopher Ross and several of her family members were in court Tuesday and spoke to reporters.

“I don’t have too many words right now. He’s in custody, that’s the first step,” he said.  “It’s my first time seeing the guy who did this. I’m glad they caught him, and I’m just ready for them to give him the time, or whatever it is they’re going to give him for this crime.”

Prosecutors say surveillance video placed Lewis at the scene and three witnesses identified him.

“Hopefully they get enough information, and it’s enough to convict him,” Christopher Ross said.

Lewis is scheduled to be back in court on November 15.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Latest News

More News