This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Tom & Eddie’s
Locations in Lombard, Geneva, and Deerfield.
For more information, go to tomandeddies.com
Yin & Yang Edamame Sandwich, from the Lean & Green Sandwich Menu
- 1/4 cup bulgar wheat
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger
- 10 oz thawed edamame
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 4 teaspoons sweet cooking wine
- 1 1/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 teaspoonshot sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Bring water and salt to a boil. Add bulgar and cook on low for 5 minutes covered. Let sit covered for 15 minutes.
- While bulgar is cooking, grind the ginger and edamame together in the food processor until the beans are minced.
- Using spatula, place the edamame bean/ginger mixture in the mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice, carrots, wine, panko, egg whites, hot sauce and soy sauce to the edamame bean mixture.
- Add the bulgar to the edamame mixture and mix on low in the mixer until uniform.
- Place wax paper on scale. Measure out 4 ounces on the scale. Form into ball. Place on tray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Store in refrigerator or freezer.
- Lightly oil and heat skillet or griddle to 375 degree oven.
- Place edamame ball on skillet or griddle and press to approximately half inch thick.
- Cook for 2 1/2 minutes and then turn.
- Season with Salt and pepper.
- Remove from skillet or griddle after 5 minutes total.
- Toast multigrain hamburger bun and place burger on bun.
Tips for success:
- Do no over cook bulgar
- Let sit covered for 15 minutes
- Be sure and toast bun
- Can use frozen edamame — available at most grocery stores
- Oil skillet up to high heat of at least 375 degrees