Hearing set on release of controversial video showing teen’s death by Chicago cops

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHICAGO -- A hearing is set for Thursday on the matter of releasing a controversial and allegedly graphic dashcam video which shows Chicago police fatally shooting a teen last year.

So far, the city has managed to suppress it. But a judge is expected to rule this week.  For the few who have seen it , they say it shows a clear abuse of police power and the officer used lethal force against a minority.  They say if the video was released, it would rattle the city like we have yet to see in the United States and making riots in Ferguson, Missouri  and Baltimore potentially pale in comparison.

On Oct. 20th, 2014, 17-year-old Laquan McDonald took 16 bullets, nine of them to his back. He was an African-American boy shot by a white officer.

Police have long maintained the teen, who was on PCP at the time, lunged at the officer with a knife.

But a 25-year-old truck driver, who is afraid to be identified, says it was an execution.

The witness was sitting behind the wheel filling out logs just before 10 p.m. that night. He was at a Burger King near Pulaski and 41st  when he saw a person running. He heard screams and just 15 feet in front of him, there was one officer on foot tailing a subject and another driving a squad car. Then a second police vehicle pulled up and the passenger pulled out his gun, this witness claims, and fired three times at McDonald.

16 shots in all penetrated the teen’s body. Then the crime scene got chaotic fast. The witness tells WGN News he was first told to get away from the scene while lights and sirens filled the area. Then he was told to go to the area police district to give a statement.

The witness and at least one other have been locked into a federal grand jury. The feds have taken over the case. But not before the city of Chicago settled this matter quietly last April  and agreed to pay the McDonald family $5 million.  This was right around the same time the Mayor Emanuel was fighting for his political life in a tight run-off election.

The single officer who pulled the trigger remains stripped of his police powers, but on desk duty and still a member of the Chicago Police Dept.  The feds are investigating his role in the shooting.

A quick appeal of Thursday’s decision is also expected to follow.

Popular

Latest News

More News