For your home:Lou Manfredini recommends the following for your home.
- Any faucet inside but attached to an exterior wall should have a trickle of water running through it – both on the hot and cold sides, if it has separate knobs.
- Lock windows. Locking will help cut down on drafts. Invest in a window insulation kit as well.
- Check and change your furnace filter. If it’s clogged and you don’t have a spare, you can run your furnace without a filter for a few days.
- Leave cabinet doors open in areas where it is cold. Allow heat to enter and keep pipes warm.
For your car:Manfredini recommends the following tips for your car.
- Ahead of the cold, coat the weather stripping of your car doors with mineral oil. This will help ensure you are able to open the door in freezing temps.
- Lock de-icer can help thaw frozen car locks.