COOK COUNTY, Ill. — Preparations are well underway Wednesday for a Winter Storm Warning going into effect for Cook County Thursday through Saturday.
Leaders held a press conference to “provide an update on winter storm preparations across Cook County and share safety tips for residents during the winter storm,” according to a release.
County Board President Toni Preckwinkle was joined by leaders from the Cook County Department of Emergency Management and Regional Security, the Department of Transportation and Highways, Facilities Management and Cook County Health.
You can view the entire event in the video below.
At O’Hare and Midway airports, travelers are trying to grab the last available seats on departing flights.
You could feel the tension at O’Hare with the already hectic holiday travel season with high winds and drifting snow likely to disrupt travel plans.
Mechanics at J&Z Garage in Elk Grove Village are helping people winterize their cars. But here are some things they said you can do on your own:
- Check your tire pressure and battery
- Check your washer fluid
- Be conscious of the weather and the wind
Colby Basham, the public works director for Elk Grove Village, is keeping a close eye on the forecast.
Basham and his team are expecting to go 24 hours until Saturday morning to deal with potential weather problems.
Cook County officials are encouraging people to stay up to date on the latest alerts.
Warming centers in Chicago suburbs for 2022 winter storm
Several suburbs in the Chicago area have opened warming centers ahead of the winter storm.
Here’s what you need to know about where the warming centers are and when they are open:
Warming centers in McHenry County, Illinois
The information on warming centers below is from McHenry County. To view updated locations and hours, visit the county’s website.
- Huntley Municipal Complex, 10987 Main St. – The facility will be available Thursday and Friday. The lobby is open during the regular business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but the police department can open it after hours upon request.
- Lakemoor Village Hall, 28581 Route 120 – Village Hall can be opened after hours by entering through the front door and pushing the police department call button in the vestibule.
- McHenry Municipal Center, 333 S. Green St. – The center will be open beginning at 1 p.m. Thursday, and will stay open through 8 a.m. Monday, Dec. 26. People needing to access the warming center should enter through the McHenry Police Department entrance and ask for assistance.
- Port Barrington Village Hall, 69 S. Circle Ave. – The Community Room can be
opened by appointment only – residents needing to use it can call the village hall
number, regardless of time, to have the room opened.
- Public Action to Deliver Shelter (PADS) – Has a cold-weather assistance
program for emergencies. If you are homeless, you can call 815-759-7133 and
leave a voice mail. You will receive a call back to find you emergency
accommodations in Woodstock – however, you will need to find a way to get
there, as PADS cannot offer transport.
- Spring Grove Village Hall, 7401 Meyer Road – Village Hall is available to
keep warm during regular business hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
It will be closed Monday, Dec. 26.
- Woodstock Police Department, 656 Lake Ave. – The police department’s small lobby is open during inclement weather to serve as a place to get warm.
Warming centers in Kane County, Illinois
- Batavia: City hall, located at 100 North Island Avenue, will be open 24 hours a day from Wednesday, Dec. 22 through Thursday, Dec. 29 as a warming center. Sleeping accommodations will not be provided.
Warming centers in Aurora, Illinois
The Aurora Transportation Center, 233 North Broadway, will be open each night from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. from Tuesday, Dec. 20 through Tuesday, Dec. 27 as a warming center.
The city said it has notified people at the Hesed House daytime warming center about the overnight option.
Warming centers in Will County, Illinois
The Will County Emergency Management Agency is providing updated information on warming centers available in the county online.
The City of Joliet posted more information about warming centers available in the city online.
This list is still being updated.