This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — Two people were killed and seven others were wounded in a shooting on the Near North Side after a fight broke out at a McDonald’s near a CTA stop.

Late Thursday night around 10:40 p.m., police responded to the 800 block of North State Street on the report of multiple people shot. It was at first reported that it was a total of 10 people shot, but CPD Supt. David Brown at a Friday morning press conference clarified that it was two killed, seven injured.

The men who died have been identified as Anthony Allen, 31, and Antonio Wade, 30, by Legal Help Firm and the medical examiner.

Anthony Allen, 31, & Antonio Wade, 30, – courtesy Legal Help Firm

Witnesses said the incident started with a fight outside the McDonald’s by the Chicago CTA Red Line stop. It appeared a large number of people were in the area when gunfire erupted.

One witness said he saw two girls crawling on the floor as they sought shelter. People were seen lying on the sidewalk and the street — emergency personnel were treating some people on the scene.

More fights broke out as the chaos continued and Chicago police tried to break it up.

At one point, police stopped Red Line service to search for suspects. The trains were full of passengers that were escorted off the train by fire officials. No passengers were injured.

“I came here to enjoy myself,” Deonna Jackson, a witness, said. “I came with my friends to enjoy the breeze, enjoy the view, and then I see people my age — I’m only 18 — I see people down here jumping on people. And for what? I don’t understand.”

Police said a suspect fled into the subway system where he was found by officers and taken into custody around 10:54 p.m. Police said a weapon was recovered. A person who was in the shooter’s group was also arrested after obstructing officers at the scene, police said.

The two men killed were taken to Stroger Hospital and Northwestern Medical Center where they were pronounced dead. One of them was identified as a 31-year-old, but no other information was provided.

The ages of the other seven who were shot range from 17 to 46. Three were transported to area hospitals and the others walked in to Northwestern. A 19-year-old man was transported in critical condition and the rest of the victims were reported in good or stable condition.

One of those who was wounded, Shaun Davis, was released from the hospital Friday morning after being shot in the abdomen and leg. He said he wasn’t entirely sure what happened, but after he came out of the McDonald’s, things escalated quickly. He said someone took a gun out, and eventually a gun went off.

“Honestly, need to start putting those guns down,” he said.

Community activist Andrew Holmes noted the amount of cameras in the area and said the footage will tell the public what happened, even if no one decides to talk.

During a press conference Friday, city leaders said they have shut down the McDonald’s until further notice. A building inspection went in and discovered electrical issues, the city said.

CTA said Red Line service resumed Friday with delays.