This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
CHICAGO — The suspect wanted in a shooting of a Chicago police officer, and an earlier shooting of a woman in the Fulton River District, was shot by police Saturday afternoon after a manhunt that started in West Englewood. The officer was on the 1900 block of West 65th Street around 8:40 a.m. Saturday when he and his partner came into contact with the gunman and a “physical struggle” ensued, followed by an armed confrontation, according to CPD Supt. Eddie Johnson. Johnson said the first call of shots fired came from the 6500 block of South Winchester Avenue when the officer was shot. The officer was able to return fire along with his partner, the superintendent said. It is unknown if the officers’ gunshots struck the gunman. Police said the gunman fled the area and should be considered armed and dangerous. Guglielmi said the man, identified as 45-year-old Michael Blackman, was the suspected gunman in a shooting of a woman on the 200 block of North Milwaukee Avenue Wednesday. The woman, who worked nearby, was walking on the sidewalk with co-workers headed to lunch, when a man on a bicycle rode up to the group. The gunman passed the woman and her co-workers, before he went directly back to the woman and shot her in the back. Around 4 p.m. Saturday, police said they apprehended Blackman at 64th and Bell streets after an armed encounter.Blackman was shot by officers, but it was unclear how many times. Deputy Chief of Detective Division Brendan Deenihan said Blackman had a broken femur and eight bullet holes on his body, but it was up to doctors to determine how many times he was actually shot. Blackman was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition. Johnson said Blackman had an extensive criminal history dating back to 1990 with crimes including burglary, battery, domestic battery, criminal trespassing, disorderly conduct, driving on a suspended license and criminal possession of a controlled substance. It is unknown what the motivation was behind the shooting of the officer or the woman near downtown. A SWAT team was on the scene Saturday morning at 65th Street and Damen Avenue after the initial shooting of the officer as they continued to search for Blackman.
After the shooting, the officer was able to apply his own tourniquet as his partner applied pressure to the wounds. Johnson said the officer’s partner placed him inside a squad car and he was rushed the hospital. The officer, identified as a 40-year-old man who is a 16-year veteran on the police department, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in critical condition, but was stabilized. Dr. Jane Kaylee Lee, a trauma surgeon at the hospital, said the officer came in “bleeding to death” with multiple gunshot wounds. The doctor said he was shot in the left groin and twice in the leg. The officer’s wound in the left groin had a retained bullet and the two in the leg were both through and through wounds. Lee said the officer lost a significant amount of blood when he arrived, but said he is expected to recover. Mayor Lori Lightfoot posted on Twitter earlier on Saturday asking Chicagoans to join her in prayer for the officer and his family. The mayor, along with Fraternal Order of Police President Kevin Graham, were present at the press conference along with Johnson. “As you know, being a police officer is an extremely dangerous job,” Graham said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the middle of night, or early morning, or middle of the day.” Graham said he spoke to the officer’s wife who was very concerned about the situation. He said his heart and prayers go out to her.