CHICAGO — The mother of the 7-year-old boy who died after a house fire on the Northwest side earlier this week has died.

According to the Cook County Medical Examiner, 36-year-old Summer Day-Stewart died Friday following her injuries sustained in Tuesday evening’s fire.

The fire broke out at the Stewart home on the 2500 block of North Rutherford Avenue in the Montclare neighborhood Tuesday night.

According to a statement on a fundraising page for the family, the father, a Chicago firefighter was on duty when he overheard his home address on the fire radio. When he arrived, he found his wife and children in serious condition as the fire continued to burn his house.

Police said the 36-year-old mother, a 2-year-old boy, 7-year-old boy and 9-year-old girl were transported to the hospital in critical condition due to smoke inhalation. 7-year-old Ezra Stewart succumbed to his injures Wednesday evening.

Those close to the family tell us the two other children aren’t expected to survive.

“There’s no words that can describe,” Patrick Quane, director of public relations for the Chicago Firefighters’ Union, said. “We’re just praying.”

A memorial of teddy bears and balloons is now sitting on top of the porch.

Adonna Reid, a chaplain at the Oak Park Police Department, stopped by Friday to pray for the family as so many work to cope with the news.

“Especially with the father being firefighter,” Reid said. “To lose your family in such a tragic way, is just beyond comprehension.”

Sources close to the situation told WGN-TV the firefighter heard the call to his home and responded to the scene, at one point giving one of his family members CPR.

Quane said this tragedy further exemplifies the heartbreak they feel any time children are involved.

“Any time our members go on a call such as this, any time it involves death or any time it involves children, it weighs heavy on our hearts,” Quane said.

Family members said Ezra was a sweet and curious boy who loved playing with his toys. His mom, Summer, is being described as a beautiful soul who put others first.

Officials reported that the fire started in the kitchen and was accidental.

If you would like to donate to the Stewart Family Fund, click here.

A relative said Summer is expected to go on to save lives through the gift of organ donation.