CHICAGO — A 14-year-old boy was killed in a shooting that left four others wounded, including the alleged suspect, on the city’s South Side. Three police officers were also injured and hospitalized for observation.

Among the wounded was a 14-year-old boy who was shot in the chest and transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. He has been identified as Pierre Johnson.

A family friend told WGN News that Johnson was loved by his friends, family, baseball coaches and teammates.

“He didn’t want this life, he wanted more, I just can’t believe this happened to him,” Chris Cozzi, a family friend said.

Family members told WGN Johnson was the second family member they have lost to gun violence in the past five years. He recently made the baseball team at Perspectives Academy and was looking forward to travel season this summer.

“He didn’t deserve it. He was such a good boy, he was such an athlete, such a good brother,” Cuzzi said.

According to a preliminary police statement, a group of offenders with guns fired shots towards another group in the 4200 block of South Wells around 8:20 p.m. Thursday.

Police officers responding to a ShotSpotter alert at the location found multiple wounded people on the ground and a man holding a gun.

According to police, the armed man fired shots in the direction of the officers. Police said an officer returned fire and the man fled the scene — but was caught and taken into custody a short time later.

Four others were injured in the shooting, including the alleged suspect:

  • A 16-year-old boy was shot in the leg and transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition.
  • An 18-year-old man was shot in the back and self-transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition.
  • A 19-year-old boy was shot in the chest and leg and was transported to the University of Chicago Medical Center in critical condition.
  • A 21-year-old woman was shot in the hand and transported to Insight Hospital in unknown condition.

Three police officers were transported to local hospitals for observation. Police said two handguns were recovered from the scene.

It is unknown if police are searching for additional suspects.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) is investigating this shooting. The officers involved will be placed on routine administrative duties for 30 days.