CHICAGO — Gun violence in Chicago over the weekend has left more than a dozen people dead, including three children.
From Friday evening through midnight Monday, 16 people were killed and 47 were injured.
Chicago Police Supt. David Brown is making a plea to the community for information that will help detectives arrest the gunman responsible for these weekend shootings.
Just before 10 p.m. Saturday night, a stray bullet came through the window of an apartment on the 3500 block of Dickens Avenue in Logan Square and struck Lena Nunez in the head. She was watching TV in the front room of her grandmother’s apartment. Police believe two opposing gang members fired at each other outside the apartment.
The youngest victim killed this weekend was 20-month-old Sincere Gaston. Sincere was shot in the chest while riding in his car seat near 60th and Halsted on Saturday. His mother was grazed by a bullet.
Police said someone shot into her car and were targeting the baby’s father, who was not in the vehicle but normally drives it.
Monday, Chicago police released surveillance video of the suspect’s vehicle, a grey Infinity.
In another shooting Saturday, 17-year-old Antiwon Douglas was shot and killed in the Humboldt Park neighborhood during a fight with someone in a large crowd, according to police.
An 8-year-old girl was also shot while sitting on the couch inside her home at 66th and South Wood in West Englewood. The girl suffered a graze wound to her head, but survived.
It was just last weekend when Chicago saw the worst gun violence of the year, 106 people shot, including 3-year-old Mekhi James and 13-year-old Amaria Jones, who were both killed.
Supt. Brown blamed low bonds, and what he feels is a failed electronic monitoring system for repeat offenders who he says continue to terrorize the city.
“I keep hearing you’re new here, I will never accept, never this level of violence. Never. Someone knows something about the murders. If you have any information reach out to our detectives,” Brown said during a news conference
According to the Chicago Tribune, after a drop in violent crime during the coronavirus stay-at-home order, shootings and homicides are now up 25% from this time last year.
A newly formed group of activists and entrepreneurs say they’re fed up. The group, called “I’m Telling Don’t Shoot” is now offering a $50,000 reward to help find the shooters in the cases of the youngest victims, Mekhi and Sincere.
The group is backed by Englewood Ald. Stephanie Coleman, and they even brought the cash reward to Sunday’s news conference.
To report information in those cases, call the tipline at (312) 747-8380.
Another $2,000 reward is being offered in the death of Lena Nunez. A GoFundMe has been created to help her family pay for burial and funeral costs.
Police said they plan to release surveillance video of suspect vehicles soon.