2 women found dead, 4 people hospitalized after carbon monoxide incident in Little Village

Chicago News

CHICAGO — Two women were found dead and four people were sent to the hospital Friday afternoon after high levels of carbon monoxide were discovered in a Little Village home Friday afternoon.

Just before 2:20 p.m., authorities responded to the 2800 block of West 22nd Place.

Chicago fire said two women, one in her 70s and another in her 50s, were found dead in the home. Four people, three children and one adult, were transported to Stroger Hospital in stable condition.

Neighbors told WGN News the deceased women were mother and daughter.

The deceased women were identified as Ernestina Villanueva, believed to be in her late 70s, and Martha Villanueva, a 54-year-old mother of five children and grandmother of two children.

Ernestina Villanueva
Martha Villanueva

“They were both kind women. They loved us kids and their grandchildren greatly. We will remember their laughs and the silliness they brought into everyday situations,” Martha’s daughter Gabriela Villanueva said.

Villanueva added that police said the leak originated from an old water boiler in the basement apartment in which her mother and grandmother lived.

Villanueva said her sister heard the carbon monoxide detector beeping during a visit a few weeks ago, to which her mother said the detector was always beeping. She was unaware if the landlord was ever contacted.

Authorities said a concerned neighbor called in a gas smell. Firefighters made a forced entry and found CO levels of 200 parts per million, CFD said.

Safe is considered anything below 10 parts per million.

“It’s why it is extremely important that we have CO detectors throughout the house,” said Acting Deputy District Chief Barry Garr.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Popular

Latest News

More News