Charges in Tinley Park Shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
By Naomi Nix
Tribune reporter

A Markham man has been charged in connection with the Thursday shooting of a Tinley Park man during a supposed electronics exchange at a Tinley Park convenience store, prosecutors said Saturday.

Christopher Dyson, 18, of the 16600 block of Winchester Avenue in south suburban Markham, was charged with first degree murder and armed robbery.

Cook County Circuit Judge Laura Marie Sullivan ordered Dyson held without bail Saturday.

Thomas Mastro, 24, of the 6900 block of Coachwood Trail in Tinley Park, had agreed to trade a gaming system for Dyson’s iPhone after Dyson had responded to Mastro’s Craigslist ad, Assistant State’s Attorney  Dan Calandriello said in court today.

The two met at a 7-Eleven store in Tinley Park around 3 p.m. Thursday to make the exchange, said Calandriello. Court records show the store is  at 16658 S. Oak Park Ave.

The defendant arrived in a Mercedes, according to Calandriello, and afterwards, video shows Dyson placing a box in the Mercedes. Mastro retrieved the box and the two began to struggle over it, at which time Dyson shot Mastro in the chest, Calandriello alleged.

According to court records, the gaming systems involved were a PlayStation 3 and a PlayStation Vita.

Dyson put the box in his car and sped out of the parking lot and headed north on Oak Park Avenue, Calandriello said.

An eyewitness informed an nearby off-duty police officer who started chasing after Dyson, according to Calandriello. At times, the officer was driving at 90 miles per hour, with Dyson travelling ahead at a faster rate, Calandriello said.

Dyson later lost control of the Mercedes and fled into a forest preserve on foot, Calendriello said.

More than 50 officers from a dozen surrounding communities searched the woods, including six search dog teams and the Cook County/Chicago Police helicopter, police said. The search went on for nearly an hour before two officers stationed at the perimeter of the woods near 143rd Street saw the suspect attempting to leave the woods. The officers, from Orland Park and Oak Forest, chased the suspect into the woods and apprehended him, police said.

Police located a weapon near 159th Street and Oak Park Avenue, police said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said an autopsy showed that Mastro died of a gunshot wound to the chest.0 markham


Latest News

More News