Cardinal George cancels trip to Rome so he can receive cancer treatment

News
Search for Cardinal Francis George successor underway

Remembering Francis Cardinal George

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

By Michelle Manchir
Tribune reporter

Cardinal Francis George will miss a planned trip to Rome in October to instead receive treatment for cancer, the Archdiocese of Chicago said Tuesday.

George had planned to visit Rome to meet with Pope Francis and for other meetings, said Archdiocese of Chicago spokeswoman Colleen Dolan, but because of a new medicine the cardinal is taking that requires a treatment when the trip would have been, he will not go.

Dolan said George will likely reschedule the trip.

George was initially diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2006. In August of 2012, he learned that the disease has returned to his kidney and liver, according to the archdiocese.

The cancer had been in remission for more than a year when George revealed in March that the disease “is beginning to show signs of new activity” and he was facing a “more aggressive” round of chemotherapy.”

George submitted his letter of resignation in 2012 as he turned 75, following a rule in place for all Roman Catholic bishops.

The papal nuncio, or ambassador, to the United States, informed George earlier this year that he has started the search for George’s successor, which is expected to be complete in late fall, the archdiocese said earlier this year.

Popular

Latest News

More News