NEW YORK – In an official statement Saturday by NBC News’ Brian Williams, the embattled anchor said he would be taking himself off the air “for the next several days.”
The statement appeared on the network’s Website.
“In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions,” the statement reads.
Williams has faced recent controversy surrounding a previous story he had recounted many times on air regarding a 2003 incident in Iraq, in which he falsely claimed coming under fire in a helicopter. He later admitted to being in a different helicopter — one that had not come under fire — and said he had “conflated” the events.
His past comments regarding coverage on Hurricane Katrina have also come into question.
As a result, NBC News launched an internal investigation regarding Williams’ statements earlier this week.
NBC’s Lester Holt will step in for Williams for the time being.