Questions remain after autopsy results for 30-year-old man killed during shootout with police


Mariano Ocon Jr.

Data pix.

CHICAGO — Questions remain after autopsy results were released Friday after a 30-year-old man was killed during a shootout with Chicago police Thursday in Galewood.

Mariano Ocon Jr. died Thursday and an early exam said he shot himself once, and that an officer shot him as well. The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office Friday said Ocon died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds including a self-inflicted wound to the head. He was also shot in the chest and arm by police. Ocon’s death was ruled a homicide.

The medical examiner said, “Both the self-inflicted and other gunshot wounds independently caused injuries severe enough to result in death. According to National Association of Medical Examiners manner of death guidelines, when both external and internal factors may result in death, preference is given to external factors.”

While the medical examiner ruled the death a homicide, it does not necessarily mean he was killed by police bullets.  Medically, there is no way to tell which bullet killed him. Classifying the death as a homicide is standard practice when there are two possible causes of death.

According to police, officers performed a traffic stop on the 6000 block of West Wellington Avenue around 12:30 p.m. Thursday. The driver of the car, identified as Ocon, exited and "began exhibiting characteristics of an armed person," according to Deputy Police Supt. Ernest Cato.

Police said Ocon's girlfriend and four children were inside the vehicle.

Shortly after, police said a foot chase pursued and officers observed the man armed with a handgun, which they said prompted a confrontation between him and police. Police said they recovered a gun.

Police said the woman in the car was arrested, and the children were taken to the hospital and said they are OK.

Ocon was a father of six. His relatives gathered outside the Cook County Medical Examiner's office Friday, accusing police of putting the children at risk, and questioning the police account of what happened.

"There's no way. He's got six kids to live for. He knew he had to be there for the kids. So there's no way he could have killed himself. We want justice, that's all we want. And we want to hold the Chicago police accountable for him, because they are here to serve and protect — not to shoot and kill like they did my brother," Ocon's brother, Juan, told WGN.

The Civilian Office of Police Accountability is investigating. The officer involved was put on desk-duty.


Latest News

More News