About 400 guns stolen from Tennessee recovered in Chicago suburb; 1 suspect at large

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — One man is in custody and authorities are searching for another man after police discovered 400 stolen guns in the men’s U-Haul.

The men were allegedly planning to sell the guns  on the streets of Chicago this weekend. WGN News has confirmed one of the men who allegedly stole those guns was out on bond. He was supposed to be monitored by the Cook County Sheriff.

The man police are searching for was supposed to be under electronic home monitoring for other crimes allegedly committed in Chicago.

The ATF said the men stole 16 pallets of guns from a UPS facility in Memphis, Tennessee this weekend.

The guns were originally from Ruger in North Carolina. The guns were supposed to be heading from Memphis to Dallas on a semi-truck.

According to federal investigators, early Sunday morning Traveyan Turnbo, 18, and Roland Jackson, 24, drove up to the facility with a U-Haul truck, got the guns and were heading back to Chicago to sell them on the streets.

The suspects were stopped by Midlothian police who thought they were dealing drugs, but they were really sitting on hundreds of stolen firearms.

Court records show Jackson has been out on bond since May for felony retail theft charges. He was supposed to be on electronic home monitoring, but the Cook County Sheriff says he had been AWOL since Thursday. They had been looking for him even before the gun heist.

Sunday he ran from Midlothian police and hasn’t been caught yet.

His so-called accomplice Turnbo was apprehended. He said he didn’t help steal the guns, but said he was going to help Jackson and Turnbo’s brother sell the guns.

Turnbo is a senior at John Marhsall High School and worked before at KFC and at the One Summer Chicago program. He told police they had already managed to sell three of the guns for $400 before getting caught.

Turnbo appeared Tuesday afternoon in federal court. Prosecutors said he is a danger to community and they don’t want him released. He will have a detention hearing later this week.

Meanwhile the ATF is still looking for Jackson.

The electronic monitoring system alerts do not show it was cut but that doesn’t mean he didn’t get it off his person. It alerts when someone travels outside the allowed range which is typically their house. But it is not like GPS.

The sheriff’s office said they don’t know how many people right now are AWOL from the electronic monitoring system, but it’s a very small percentage.

Jackson’s case has been assigned to the fugitive apprehension unit. There is a $5,000 reward for information.


Jackson Complaint by WGN Web Desk on Scribd

[protected-iframe id=”aba459c29a7a048eb873df35d3334f35-41641997-42458703″ info=”https://www.scribd.com/embeds/389978009/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-UGg9vd2qNDFbfxdNoLSw&show_recommendations=true” width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″ class=”scribd_iframe_embed” scrolling=”no”]

Turnbo Complaint – by WGN Web Desk on Scribd

[protected-iframe id=”79250c98825d93bb8bfbb86803f40a8e-41641997-42458703″ info=”https://www.scribd.com/embeds/389978007/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-wglbi5QwfrLIwxFPrz5C&show_recommendations=true” width=”100%” height=”600″ frameborder=”0″ class=”scribd_iframe_embed” scrolling=”no”]


Latest News

More News