This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO – A 43-year-old man was killed after intervening in an armed robbery on the Far South Side Saturday night, fatally shooting an 18-year-old suspect in the process.

Derrick Gholston was selling jerk chicken from his food truck, residents say, as it sat parked outside Crispy Cuts Barbershop in Roseland Saturday night.

According to police, two men approached Gholston around 7:15 p.m. and presented a gun, demanding his property. He complied.

The masked suspects then entered the barbershop, announced a robbery, and shot a 51-year-old man inside the business. That’s when police say Gholston, a concealed carry holder, entered the barbershop and engaged in a shootout with the suspects.

Gholston and one of the suspects, later identified as Carlos Smith, were both shot. The second suspect fled the scene, and is still at large.

Gholston and Smith were taken to Christ Memorial Hospital, where they were later declared dead. The other man wounded inside the barbershop was taken Stroger Hospital and treated for gunshots to the leg.

“This is a guy that saw something terrible that was about to happen, intervened, and it’s the last thing that he did. It’s really hurtful to find out that he actually passed away,” Roseland resident Nicholas Sidel said.

Bullet holes now dot the front window of the barbershop, which is located across the street from the office of 9th Ward Alderman Anthony Beale.

Patron Carl Williams describes the shop as a “neighborhood institution,” and praises Gholston for his actions.

“In my book, he’s a hero,” Williams said.

Gholston was the father of two young boys. Roseland resident Nicholas Sidel said he wasn’t surprised he intervened, because, “that’s the kind of guy he was.”

Police said Smith was wearing a mask and had zip ties on him, signaling something even more sinister could have occurred.

“They had an intention to go in there, tie everybody up and rob the place,” Sidel said. “I hope they catch the guy who got away. I really do.”

Police are now reviewing surveillance video from the scene.