This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — Two security guards have been charged with stealing money from Holy Name Cathedral.

Both men worked for a security company when they entered the cathedral at 730 N. Wabash Ave. about 7:30 p.m. April 15 and stole about $100,000 in cash, according to the Chicago Police Department. Officers said the men used a key to enter the building before stealing from a safe. They were identified through surveillance video.

Artemio Calderon, 25, of the 4700 block of South Damen Avenue, and Jarrell Patterson, 22, of the 600 block of East 87th Place, are charged with burglary of a place of worship.

The two appeared in court on Monday. Prosecutors said the thefts date back sporadically to January. The two defendants worked as security guards for Monterrey Security and Holy Name was part of their responsibilities.

Prosecutors said Calderon and Patterson, who were not working during those times, are seen on security video inside the church and then leaving with at least two bags of money from collections kept in a basement safe to which they had the access codes to open.

The judge issued a $10,000 bond each and placed them on a 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. curfew and electronic monitoring.

Outside court, Calderon’s attorney Matthew Hickey tried to point the finger toward Patterson saying his client was an unknown participant.

Monterey, which is owned by a former Chicago Police officer and formerly a co-owner who is the brother of Ald. Danny Solis, is under federal investigation over allegations that Monterrey falsified government documents and hired people with serious criminal convictions.

Monterrey which provides security at Soldier Field and other high profile locations in Illinois, is now the subject of an audit here in Illinois to determine if those reported problems in Minnesota are happening in Illinois.

Patterson worked for Monterrey until he was fired in January.

Calderon was still working for Monterrey, whose contract was terminated after the charges were announced.

The company issued a statement and said it is saddened by what’s happened and said this is the first time in its 18-year history such a problem has occurred.

Left to right: Jarrell Patterson, 22, and Artemio Calderon, 25