This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Grease may be to blame for starting a raging fire that destroyed three restaurants and a cell phone store in the South Loop on Wednesday. It took firefighters more than eight hours to totally extinguish the flames and “hot spots.”

The fire broke out at the Jamaica Jerk Villa Restaurant at 10 E. Cermak. Cooking was underway there at the time for holiday orders.

“It’s a terrible disaster,” said restaurant employee Tusain Collins.

The flames spread to Shark’s Fish and Chicken, Dragon Fire Restaurant, and the cell phone store. There was a partial roof collapse.

No civilians were killed or injured, but two firefighters were hurt.

One firefighter went to Mercy Hospital after slipping on ice; another injured his back.

CTA Green Line service was temporarily suspended from Roosevelt to 35th. The elevated tracks are right next to the restaurant. Shuttles were in place during the delay.

Green Line train service resumed a little after 8 a.m. Wednesday.