Man, 77, dies in fire at McHenry apartment building

News

McHENRY, Ill. — One person was killed after a fire broke out at a McHenry apartment building.

The fire started just after midnight on Thursday on the 800 block of North Southgate Street at a 16-unit, two-story apartment complex. The fire was contained to one unit.

According to fire officials, a 70-year-old woman and her 77-year-old husband were inside their apartment when the fire started. Authorities determined the man was trying to light a cigarette when either his clothes or couch caught on fire.

Fire officials said the woman heard him screaming and tried to smother the flames, but could not. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The woman suffered minor injuries.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Popular

Latest News

More News