NORWOOD PARK, Ill. — A man is killed and a woman seriously injured after a fire rips through a northwest side apartment overnight.
The fire started in the bedroom of an apartment in the Norwood Park neighborhood.
Firefighters say it was an accident, they believe the man’s cigarette sparked the flames.
Broken windows are boarded up in the first floor apartment. Fire tore through the place overnight.
“Yesterday all of a sudden there was a boom noise and the fire and this one neighbor upstairs he just called 911 right away,” said Muhammad Khan, a neighbor.
Firefighters found 63-year-old Timothy Coughlin dead inside his apartment and a 36-year-old woman in the hallway.
The woman was taken to the hospital in serious condition with burns on 30 percent of her body.
“It’s really really sad that he died. He seems like a nice person just minding his own business,” said Khan, who has lived in the building for about a year.
While he says he didn’t know his neighbor very well, he did know that Coughlin was sick.
“Recently this person, he became very sick so he was not able to walk,” said Khan.
Neighbors say they believe the woman was Coughlin’s care taker.
“They got hospice care and I’ve seen nurses and people sometimes come they would just take him in the wheelchair, he was just confined in the apartment by himself,” described Khan.
Firefighters say the home had working smoke detectors.
But neighbors were concerned because the alarm did not sound throughout the building.
At last check, the 36-year-old woman is in critical condition but she is expected to survive.