WGN Entertainment Reporter Dean Richards is whipping up some tailgating recipes in honor of the Chicago White Sox Home Opener.
ITALIAN BEEF RECIPE:
- 3 lb chuck roast, trimmed of visible fat and cut into large hunks
- 1 envelope Good Seasons Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
- 8 oz pepperoncini pepper slices and a splash of juice
- 8 oz giardiniera, drained (plus extra for serving)
- 14.5oz can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Italian bread or bun
1. Place chuck roast into the bottom of a 5.5 – 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle with salad dressing mix. Add pepperoncini peppers plus a splash of juice, giardiniera, and beef broth then lift up chuck roast pieces to get broth underneath.
3. Place a lid on top then cook on low for 9 hours, or until meat shreds easily with a fork. Shred, then place meat back into the juices in the slow cooker and continue cook on low for at least a half hour.
4. Split buns in half then scoop the shredded meat mixture on top. If desired, top with additional pepperoncini peppers and giardiniera.
5. Dip entire sandwich in the juices.
- 6 Bratwurst of your choice. Cut each into 4 pieces.
- 1 ONION CUT IN CHUNCKS
- 1 GREEN PEPPER CUT IN CHUCKS
- Alternate Brat pieces, onion and green pepper on wooden skewers.
- Grill over indirect heat under brats are cooked through.
- At the end of the grilling, move then to direct heat for some charring.
- Serve with or without buns.
PULLED PORK TACOS:
- Heat pre-packed BBQ pulled pork from the grocer’s meat case. Lightly brown your choice of tortillas.
- Chop tomatoes, lettuce and onion.
- Place pulled pork onto tortilla. Top with tomato, onion and lettuce.
- Sprinkle with your favorite BBQ sauce.
SHRIMP WITH SWEET CHILI SAUCE:
- Marinate raw shrimp in olive oil and garlic
- Saute or grill
- Add sweet chili sauce (found in the Asian food section of grocery stores)
PIZZA ON THE GRILL:
- For ease, I use Boboli mini-pizza crusts for this recipe.
- Spray or brush olive oil on the “topping” side of the crust and lightly brown on the grill.
- Remove from grill and add toppings.
- Pizza (or jarred pasta) sauce, lightly spread on the crust.
- Finely shredded mozzarella cheese, lightly spread on crust.
- Thinly sliced tomatoes, evenly spread over crust.
- More shredded mozzarella to top.
- Bake on indirect heat on the grill until cheeses are melted.
- Tear fresh basil to top.
- You can also add pepperoni, sausage or your favorite other toppings.